Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> As I understand draft-carpenter-ext-transmit, the goal is to make
    >> sure that at least firewalls support the list of extension
    >> headers we have now.  Not all of them were defined in 2460, and
    >> so they aren't all supported.
    >>
    >> This document basically says we are done defining extension
    >> headers, we have a definitive list.

    BC> No, it carefully doesn't say that. The issue is this: suppose
    BC> all the firewall maintainers in the world do the right thing (as
    BC> defined by Brian Carpenter).  At that moment we will be fine,
    BC> because they will behave appropriately for all the currently
    BC> defined extension headers.

Yes, I got that.

    BC> If somebody registers a new extension header after that, the
    BC> IANA list will be updated, so all those firewall maintainers
    BC> should obediently update again.  That's the fantasy part - it
    BC> would set the barrier for a new extension header extremely high

Right, which is why I claim that this document is essentially saying we
are done.  Like Lorenzo, I wanted to know why firewalls can't skip
extension headers they do not understand.

The issue, as I understand it, is that some of things are not extension
headers with TLV,  but are upper-level-protocols, and the firewalls
can't know which ones are ULPs and which ones are TLV-format extension
headers.

So, what I think this document does it acknowledge that we are a state
of "barrier for new extension extremely high", and make sure that in
fact that list is accurate and authoritative.

--
Michael Richardson
-on the road-