Coming to this quite late in the discussion, here's my 2¢, in case it helps
provide a relatively disinterested (but not *un*-interested) summary so far:

- The benefits expected from the proposed enhancement seem very hard for the
mailing list to pin down and express (some are disputed as benefits, while
others are acknowledged, but minor...).

- Some use-cases have been described, but I think it would be fair to say that
none of them describes an absolute "can't live without it" need for the
enhancement. Most of the claimed benefits seem to be realisable by other means,
potentially for less effort.

- The people who would have to do the work to implement and deploy the
enhancement are not the ones who would get the direct benefit - which makes it
hard to build a rationale for doing it.

From an identity, privacy an policy perspective, there's also this: any time
you have something which builds identity (and for the sake of this discussion
I'm going to treat 'long-term and relatively accurate data about location' as a
form of identity) into the online infrastructure, there is often some claimed
benefit from it, but there is also a corresponding drawback in terms of privacy
and security.

For instance, copyright law enforcement has been cited as one possible use of
the location data - but actually, GPS precision is almost certainly excessive
for this purpose, given that copyright regimes apply at the level of the nation
state, not the GPS co-ordinate... And once the data is in the header, it will
get used for whatever purpose people can find to exploit or monetize it. It is
by no means certain that all those purposes will be in the interests of the end
user,

For example, 'language preference expression' may seem like a neutral enough
goal, but then we should also consider - what happens if the technical
infrastructure starts to identify you specifically as a Bosnian Muslim, or as
an Arab Israeli, or as a Kurd living in Turkey...

As I say, these are just my thoughts as someone coming late to the discussion
and with no particular 'investment' in it to pursue... hope this is useful,
though.

Yrs.,

Robin

Robin Wilton

Technical Outreach Director - Identity and Privacy