On 11/13/2012 12:27 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <50a111fb.2060...@bfk.de>, Hannes Frederic Sowa writes:
>> On 11/07/2012 02:30 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>>> Should setting IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU to one (1) result in fragmented TCP packets?
>>> Should setting IPV6_DONTFRAG to one (1) work on TCP sockets?
>>
>> As I have not read otherwise I would treat IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU as
>> transport-agnostic.
>
> The problem is that there are at least 2 OS's with TCP layers that
> do not use IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU when calculating the TCP segment size to
> send.  I would have thought that this would have been obvious to do.
>
> Do we need update RFC3542 to say that IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU is to be used
> when calculating the TCP segment size?

Do we know of any use cases for IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU on TCP sockets? Will
DNS server software vendors would use it as fallback to UDP?

>> The usage of IPV6_DONTFRAG is only specified on UDP and raw sockets (see
>> RFC3542 11.2).
>
> Which is short sighted.  There is no reason not to apply it to all
> transports as all transports have to handle PTB and this is just
> a locally generated PTB.
>
> And while we are talking about RFC3542 how to we get POSIX updated to
> include the advanced half of the API as it is a pain in the butt for
> application developers.

Seems this is already the case. I looked at some usees of
IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU and i.e. bind is already working around some strange
setsockopt interactions with other options on FreeBSD (bind specifies
IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU as a per packet control message there).

--
Hannes Sowa                   <hs...@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99