Hello,

(didn't see summary of discussion in Atlanta yet,
 so bear with me if I would repeat something brought in there)
(and my appologies for the long email)

Paragraph 4 of the Introduction states :
"The main reason for this is that some
 firewalls attempt to inspect the transport header or payload."
Is this a factual statement or do I read a negative undertone ?

As a security person, I see the purpose of a firewall is to protect
internal assets from potentially dangerous "things" trying to get in.
This includes stopping traffic that is not conform to standards.

So, to me, "attempting to inspect the transport header or payload"
is simply a basis funcionality of the firewall.

The draft already addresses the behaviour towards unknown extension
headers.
The statement, section 2,
"If a firewall chooses to discard a packet
 containing a defined IPv6 extension header, it MUST be the result of
 an explicitly configured firewall policy, and not just the result of
 a failure to recognise such a header."
seems in contradiction with what a firewall has to do : inspect traffic !
Because : how can a firewall distinguish between a newly defined
extension header or type in an existing header
and a potential malicious character combination ?

If a firewall drops extension headers (except fragmentation)
 but provides documentation to selectively allow (and verify) others
or
if a firewall allows extension headers and allows the admin
 to seclectively block (known) headers
they both lose in case of newly defined headers or option types :
The first one has no code to verify,
the second one has no provisions (GUI selector) to block.
I'd feel safer with the first type of firewall ...

Anyway, since IPv6 should be considered to be "in production" already,
and security equipment is being put in place,
I hope we won't see any changes at all in this area at all.
Perhaps the appropriate WG should not be to enthousiastic
in adding headers or options in the first place ?!

Another aspect of extension header (verification),
not addressed in this draft (nor, after rereading RFC 2460 for this subject)
is the fact that rules are defined.
RFC 2460 states extension headers have a specific order.
What should security equipment do if it detects the order is not respected ?
 (some hacker might be searching for obfuscation or undesireable side effects ?)
I suggest this draft is completed with statements on this situation.
 (presently, it only addresses type and content of extension headers,
  not the order)

And, in the same line of thinking, RFC 2460 does not seem to limit
the number of extension headers ?!
Since the first field in any extension header is "next header",
 nothing prevents an extension header to state the next one is of the
 same type !
But two consecutive fragmentation headers don't make sense, do they ?
Yet, it doesnot seem to be forbidden.
(don't say this cannot happen, perhaps it's the hacker, in search
 to obfuscate or side effects ...)
((no firewall vendor I've contacted so far has been able to give me a
  straight answer on how its product would behave in that situation ...))

Kind regards,

Marc