From: dhcwg-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:dhcwg-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Ole
Tr?an
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:21 PM
To: Sheng Jiang
Cc: <dh...@ietf.org> WG; IPv6 List
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Review of draft "Prefix Assignment in DHCPv6"

Sheng,

> Back in Atlanta, in DHC WG meeting, you said you would review the document.
> Could you give the comments?

I knew that would come back and haunt me. ;)
comments below. also included dhc and 6man

>> Draft:          Prefix Assignment in DHCPv6
>> Presenter: Sheng Jiang
>> Slot:           5 min
>
>> ** Ole will review the document and maybe bring it up on 6man
>
> Many thanks and best regards,

in arbitrary order:

- draft-ietf-mif-dhcpv6-route-option also supports prefix discovery using DHCP
Frank=>Our draft is about prefix for a host's address formulation.

- a host wanting a particular address, why can it not use the "hint" option in
a vanilla IA_NA?
Frank=>This draft is about prefix which is a part of  address.
- a prefix on a link must always be coordinated with the onlink router, so I
don't understand the argument
  of why the "L-flag" isn't needed
Frank=>we can discuss further.

- we shouldn't create new DHCPv6 options with T1/T2 timers. those should be put
in a separate option
Frank=>Please give me a link so that I could check the "SHOULDN'T"  rule.

- what do you do if the prefix length is different from /64?
Frank=>We can discuss later.

in general I think the use case presented is already supported by DHCPv6
address assignment; the client puts
the addresses it desire as hints in the IA_NA option in DHCPv6 requests.
Frank=>I would like to highlight that we should give an option a clear
definition.
Wild usage of existing option is a double sword.

I think the argument given in the draft for operators wanting a DHCPv6-managed
network without ND is flawed.
ND is required for router discovery, neighbour discovery etc anyway. and a
router on the link must be configured
with the onlink prefix regardless.
Frank=>  ND is not mandatory for network deployments. AFASIK, ND is optional,
while
DHCPv6 is mandatory for WiMAX network.

while we can clearly make this work, I don't think it is justified to create a
duplicate mechanism for prefix discovery.
section 3.2 RFC1958.
Frank=>I don't believe this is "a duplicate mechanism" for "THE SAME THING".

cheers,
Ole