In reading the discussion,a nd trying to think through what I understand to be correct, it seems that there is an unforeseen ambiguity in the way the current documents about IPv6 IIDs are written.

I think that there are two possible meanings, ad we should decide explicitly which one we want.

1) u=1 means that the IID is derived from an IEEE OUI (of some form). With that meaning, u=1, g=1 is clearly some sort of multi-entity identifier. And we should say that somewhere.

2) u=1, g=1 was unforeseen, and we don't know what it means. In that case, we ought to figure out how we want that portion of the IID space used, and write it down clearly. It seems to me that allowing this space to be used for special-semantic IIDs (with suitable care so that the entire ecosystem is not affected by them) is a very reasonable path.

It seems unlikely that there is actual practice in the wild with u=1, g=1 under either interpretation. We do now have a request to start using it (4rd). So we should decide.

Yours,
Joel