OK I'll bite. All IMVHO.

In answer to Fred's question, to me the current problem is on the end
hosts and not on existing intermediate devices.

There are many different ways to assign IPv6 addresses, including manual
assignment, that can all run simultaneously on the same interface/link
and the same /64 prefix. New IDs are still being generated on address
assignment even today e.g.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-6man-stable-privacy-addresses &
4rd https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-softwire-4rd/. I'm sure
there'll be many more in the future.

Some of those ID's do put additional semantics into the IID. Others don't.

Some of those that use semantics in the IID sometimes do not rely on DAD
to detect assignment clashes.

It seems to me with the benefit of hindsight that a fundamentally better
approach would have been to reserve many more bits in the IID, or in RA
PIO, to create mutually exclusive subspaces per assignment mechanism or
per class of assignment mechanism, but that train has probably left the
station long ago, and that now assigning a huge block of space for u=1
g=1 exclusively for a tunnel protocol like 4rd is fundamentally unfair
and restrictive for future assignment mechanisms. Also having addresses
assigned without performing DAD would seem a bad move to me on any
prefix with more than one address assignment scheme running.

Besides, who will guarantee that the IEEE won't come up with some future
use for u=1 g=1? I'm not even sure the IETF should define these semantics.
So in response to Joel, I'd humbly suggest defining u=1 g=1 as reserved
for future use (to be defined in conjunction with the IEEE).

To me, an alternative for consideration for 4rd would be either to use a
dedicated IEEE-defined special-purpose OUI (together with an additional
rd4 specific header for any remaining bits that cannot be encoded
directly in the IID/IPv6 address), or to use locally assigned IIDs
starting with binary 000 and ensure no other locally assigned IIDs are
running on this particular scope. That should avoid changing any other
standards or existing implementations.

regards,
RayH