Hi, Ray,

Thanks so much for your feedback! Please find my comments in-line...

On 01/05/2013 07:24 AM, Ray Hunter wrote:
> I have read this draft and support it, as it provides a valuable
> security update to IPv6.

Thanks!

> Nits:
>
> s/A received "atomic fragments" should be "reassembled" from the
> contents of that sole fragment./
> Each received "atomic fragment" should be individually "reassembled"
> from the contents of that sole fragment./

Will apply this change to the next rev.

> /Many implementations fail to perform validation checks on the received
> ICMPv6 error messages, as recommended in Section 5.2 of [RFC4443] and
> [RFC5927]./
>
> Although RFC4443 is a standard track document, none of the language in
> Section 5.2 contains RFC2119 keywords.
> RFC5927 is informational.
>
> You may consider this a separate but related issue to atomic fragments,
> but does validation checking of ICMPv6 messages need to be addressed
> further in your current ID?

What I've tried to note with the above comment is how trivial it is to
trigger the use of IPv6 atomic fragments.

> I think your current ID stands alone whether these validation checks are
> performed or not.

Agreed. But what I've tried to stress is that it is trivial to make any
connection employ atomic fragments -- hence it's not that the only
target of atomic-fragment attacks are those connections already employed
atomic fragments or fragmentation: it's trivial to trigger the use of
such fragments, and then perform a fragmentation-based attack...

> Are we then really justified in chastising implementors who ignore these
> recommendations by somehow implying they've 'failed'?
> Suggested alternative s/Many implementations fail to/Many
> implementations do not/

I'm fine with your proposed text. Should the resulting text then be:

"Many implementations do not perform validation checks on the received
ICMPv6 error messages as recommended in Section 5.2 of [RFC4443] and
[RFC5927]"

?

Or can this be read as "they do not perform these validation checks, as
RFC4443 and RFC5927 recommend *not* to do so"? (English as second
language here)

Thanks!

Best regards,
--