On 02/04/2013 12:38 AM, Rémi Després wrote:
It remains that IIDs having u=1 SHOULD be unique, i.e. with rare enough
exceptions. This is somewhat similar to the expectation that ULA collisions
shouldn't be seen).

This theoretical unicity has been extensively used to assign stable IIDs,
without administrative action, to hosts  that have no privacy constraints
requiring the opposite.

What software exists that makes determinations based on the u bit?

How would that software be impacted if the u bit were suddenly be devoid of meaning?

I am of course assuming that DAD would still be in play for dynamically assigned addresses, which it seems we are all in agreement on.

Doug