Just to focus on one area at the moment:

>> If an extension proves itself safe, easily parse-able, and useful, it
>> will be transported over the public Internet. If it doesn't, it will get
>> dropped.
>
> At the moment this is impossible. There is no place for firewall
> implementors to find a master list of all well-defined extension headers
> and no way for site IT managers to configure firewalls to block or allow
> specific extension headers. So there is no way for a new extension
> header to prove itself safe and viable. It's pure Catch 22.

My personal view is that it is very useful to have a single IANA registry that
lists all IPv6 extension headers.  I would like to think I am fairly
knowledgable about IPv6, and it's hard for me to find them all.  This is a win
independent of what policy we recommend that firewall/middlebox/etc. vendors
support.  Let's not loose that.

Bob