I do not understand the following:

>    Bits 55 and 56 that correspond to U/L bits are set accordingly to the
>    recommendations.

I suppose the reference is to the U and G bits (in positions 6 and 7
in the IID, or 70 and 71 in the IPv6 address, in IETF notation).
But what "recommendations" apply? The description in RFC 4291
refers to the equivalent bits in an IEEE address, so there is
no recommendation that is relevant to a VIN.

Also, I do not wish to broadcast my VIN number to the world.
While VIN numbers are not a big secret, associating my on line
transactions with my car's identity is definitely a big no-no.

Regards
   Brian