On 02/19/2013 07:40 AM, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
Such a concern would be all the more valid if there were a specification
which said 'each vehicle MUST form its IIDs based on their VINs'.  But
this is not the case.  We are not trying for such a definitive document.

We are certain that some vehicles will never use this VIN-based
addressing scheme.  At that point, someone receiving a packet with a
certain source address will never know whether that packet is from a
vehicle or from something else.  A reversal of the IP into a number will
never be sure to be a VIN.

But the fact that _some_ of them may be VINs make it a potential source of data mining, which should be avoided if at all possible.

There is no reason that manufacturers cannot keep their own mapping of VIN to IID, and making this process NON-standard (that is, not documenting a standard way to do it) will slightly decrease the value of that data, although wouldn't necessarily help the Ferrari-nee-Fiat problem. :)

Doug