Hi Carsten,

----- Original Message -----

Yes, that is correct.

> Probably not too onerous for your TV scenario (with REACHABLE_TIME at 30 s),
> and
> a good way to shutdown traffic to a hard-failed receiver before the MLDv2
> timeouts kick in, but
> maybe not that great in a constrained network that only occasionally sends
> multicast packets.

The constrained devices/constrained bandwidth domain is not the one I'm
addressing. My focus has been "unicast performs well, sufficient CPU to
replicate and unicast packets is cheap and available, low level multicast is
acceptable, high level multicast is a problem" domain, although some of the
other secondary benefits could make it useful in more than just 802.11
networks. I agree, the efficiencies it provides probably aren't enough for it
to be useful in a 6Lowpan scenario.

> (Incidentally, 4861 also says:
>    Neighbor Unreachability Detection is performed only for neighbors to
>    which unicast packets are sent; it is not used when sending to
>    multicast addresses.
> So this would then have to be adapted, because it's no longer an either/or
> with 6085.)

That's a good point.

Thanks very much,
Mark.