Tim Chown wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2013, at 20:39, Ray Hunter <v6...@globis.net
> <mailto:v6...@globis.net>> wrote:

>>> Undesirable by whom? For a laptop, for example, the most likely
>>> cause of a MAC address change is that the user/owner used an
>>> administrative command to change it, probably in an attempt at
>>> getting privacy. Keeping the same IID would defeat the purpose.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, if I am managing a big server, I would like to
>>> retain the same IPv6 addresses to avoid disrupting service. But
>>> then, if I want a fixed address, I would probably ensure that by
>>> configuring a fixed address, not by relying on a side effect of
>>> automatic address configuration.
>>>
>>> -- Christian Huitema
>>>

>> Right. But a bad side effect of manually configuring fixed addresses is
>> that you derail all of the good work around renumbering.
>>
>> It might prove operationally useful to be able to configure a static
>> IID, but still continue to use of a variable network prefix (derived
>> from RA).
>
> As
> per http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chown-6man-tokenised-ipv6-identifiers-02
> ?
>
> Tim

I hadn't seen that particular draft before, but yes. Of course you'd
probably also want to be able to configure IID based ACL's, static
routes etc. where the prefix was auto-prepended to the static IID
portion of the config. Don't want to hijack the thread, but I see no
fundamental reason why your draft couldn't be combined with Fernando's work.