Nalini Elkins wrote:
> forbidding very long chains of extension headers that need to be
> >
> > I  wonder if this is the place to define "very long"?
>
> >> I guess those two words can be deleted - the issue is only that the
> header chain gets fragmented at all. The full discussion is in the
> cited draft, of course.
>
> I know the draft that you have cited and they do not define "long"
> either.  There has been quite a bit of discussion about what "long"
> means and IMHO somewhere, someone needs to take some kind of
> reasonable stand.

Actually IMHO ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain DOES define "unusually
long" very accurately.

I-D.ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain requires that "the first fragment
of a fragmented datagram is required to contain the entire IPv6 header
chain"

So in other words, any packet parsing engine should be prepared to
examine an entire single frame up to the MTU of the local egress
interface, but should not be expected to maintain any state across
multiple fragments.

We might also benefit operationally from setting an additional limit on
the length of the hop hop option header, which is theoretically meant to
be processed by routers along the path. However, my guess is that is
well beyond the author's original intentions for
draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-02, which was more focussed on
firewalls.