 From: Ray Hunter <v6...@globis.net>
To: Nalini Elkins <nalini.elk...@insidethestack.com>
Cc: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>; 6man <ipv6@ietf.org>;
Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com>; "vishwas.man...@hp.com"
<vishwas.man...@hp.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-02 (was Re: Re:
draft-ietf-6man-ext-transmit-01)

IMVHO interpreting the text of the current drafts.

> Nalini Elkins <mailto:nalini.elk...@insidethestack.com>
> 6 June 2013 18:20
> So, if we are talking about the MTU of the local egress interface,
> then since, I believe, the minimum MTU size for IPv6 is 1,280, then
> all devices should be prepared to examine up to 1,280 bytes to get the
> L4 header?
Not quite.

AFAICS

1. All parsing engines should be able to parse at least 1280 bytes to
cover the minimum IPv6 MTU.

2. If all the local interfaces are Ethernet, and have an MTU set of
1500, the parsing engine on that box should be able to parse a full
Ethernet frame of 1500 bytes of payload..... and so on for devices
supporting links with larger MTUs, all the way up to jumbograms (if
supported on that device).

3. draft-ietf-6man-ext-transmit gives the option of not parsing
extension headers at all on high speed routers (only the hop by hop
option is supposed to be parsed by routers on the path). But neither
this draft, nor any other IETF draft that I know of, gives an option for
parsing an IPv6 header chain "just for the first n bytes", where n is an
arbitrary number picked out of the air by a vendor, whether that be 53,
256 or 1280.

regards,
RayH