On 06/06/2013 03:40 PM, Alissa Cooper wrote:
>> For instance, Section B.1 explicitly says so (and this type of
>> attack is not meant to be solved by stable-privacy-addresses).
>>
>> In some scenarios, it can be mitigated with RFC 4941. Hoawever, as
>> noted in Section C.4, even ith RFC4941 there are scenarios n which
>> yu cannot do much about it.
>>

> Maybe it's just an organizational thing that makes me feel like this
> isn't clear -- in B.1 it says "However, as noted earlier in this
> document, in scenarios in which there is a reduced number of nodes …"
> but really that scenario is not discussed until later in the document
> (C.4).

The corresponding paragraph was moved to the appendix in version -09 --
it was part of the Intro in previous versions. I will update the
document accordingly.

> Then appendix C says that "It aims to clarify the motivation
> of employing the method specified in this document," but ends with
> the attack described in C.4, which is not mitigated by the mechanism
> specified in the document.

As with the above, this is a product of the text that I moved to the
Appendix

> I realize how this organization came about
> but it seems like it would make a little more sense to have each of
> the distinct threat models clearly described in one place in the body
> of the document, followed by a discussion of which threats the
> mechanism mitigates and which it does not.

I'd personally prefer this not to be in the body of the document. For
the most part, because I think that we might benefit of a separate
document that does an analysis of all IID generation techniques, rather
than only this one (I had planned to wok on such a document even before
this whole discussion came up). To some extent, including such whole
discussion here looks a bit side-tracking.

But I'd love to hear what you and others think about it.

Thanks!

Best regards,
--
Fernando Gont