On 6/11/13 1:39 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:
On 06/11/2013 11:01 AM, Ole Troan wrote:
a router does ECMP on the 5-tuple. the extension header chain doesn't
help with that. a middlebox makes some policy decision on arbitrary
bits in the packet (including L7). I'm not sure I see what help the
middlebox gets from the extension header chain here?

in my view there is no difference between the following cases:
- 2nd fragment
- extension header chain longer than first packet
- unknown extension header
- unknown L4 - ESP
These cases are different (at least from a fw point of view).

- 2nd fragment is okay, beacuse you'd apply the fltering policy t the
first fragment.
Wierdly I'm not that interested in a filtering half a dos attack. which is probably what happens with amplification and EDNS0 or just some joker sending me a metric ton of fragments.

- extension header chain longer than first apcket is harmful

- Unknown ext header is enough to block as "unwanted traffic"

- unknown layer 4 is enough to block

- ESP may or may not be okay depending on your policy

a firewall/filtering router with the policy of only allowing packets
with known L4, will drop the packet in all the above cases.
Not really. For instance, stateless filters allow non-first fragments.

what should we as the IETF do?

we could accommodate our protocols to become more firewall friendly,
Yes -- or be prepared that more traffic is blocked.

e.g. deprecate IP layer fragmentation, deprecate extension headers
(or limit their length).
Me, I would deprecate fragmentation, nor would I deprecate extension
headers. I would, however, limit the size of the extension header chain
(to some value... whether 256 bytes, 1280 bytes, or whatever).

but, do we then also push the Internet
further away from an open end to end capable Internet, stifle
innovation in transport etc?
This cat is out of the bug (and has been out of the bag for.. what? 20
years?). Firewalls block unknown traffic.

And from a netadmin pov, you usually want your network to do what's
required to do, and not more than that -- that's what "default deny" is
about.

You don't really want an attacker to hack your network using something
for which there wasn't a legitimate use case (legitimate == such traffic
was needed by the task to be performed, and this was known as such to
the admin).