Hi,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:58:33AM -0700, Joe Touch wrote:
>  > We're talking about
> > devices that can stand the heat out there
>
> Sounds like you're living in a tower much more fragile than ivory.
>
> If you want to stand the heat, build heat-proof stuff.

I'm not a vendor, so I can't build anything myself (not on a multi-10G
scale, at least).

I'd like to have my vendors build devices that are heat-proof, affordable,
and still conform to specifications.  Without resorting to "pick any two".

Specifications that are just wildly decoupled from the world ("a router
is a router and has no need to look at anything but the IP address of
the destination") are not helping anyone.  So I'm willing to take a vendor
that is heat-proof, affordable, and violates fully idiotic use-cases
permitted by ivory tower computer scientists designing protocols with
arbitrarily long linked lists in packet headers, with no upper bounds.

People tell me that IPv6 is so much better than IPv4 because all the nice
restructuring of the IPv6 headers.  Well, yes.  Vendors do build devices
that can stand the heat for IPv4, but not for IPv6.  Guess why.  Yes,
because the new header structure is so great.  (And the reason for that
is not in all cases "because they have more experience building IPv4 boxes")

Sorry for ranting.  But IETF is asking for operator input, so maybe start
listening to it.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279