On 06/14/2013 02:19 PM, Tony Hain wrote:
While guidance is useful to establish a consistent-behavior baseline across
vendors and deployments, care must be taken to avoid the trap of precluding
innovation and evolution. Well-meaning limits based on current hardware
capabilities will become doctrine over time, and changing values to allow
something new will become virtually impossible, as the utility of the new
thing without a significant deployment base will never outdo the inertia of
established practice. Particularly when there is a perception that the
established practice has some 'security' value.

The flip side of that is that if we don't stop changing the spec the protocol will never be deployed in a meaningful way. We cannot expect hardware vendors to do fast path for an effectively infinite number of bytes of EH. If you think that a number based on current limitations is too ... limiting, make your case for what the number should be. But "infinite" is not on the table.