----- Original Message -----

Perhaps a DHCPv6 server could have a "promiscuous mode" where it accepts and
permits the addresses it doesn't know about in REBIND messages, with an upper
total limit to prevent DoS.

One thing that is easy to forget is that the address preferred and valid
lifetimes should dictate whether a host can continue to use addresses issued by
stateful DHCPv6. If a host resorts to a DHCPv6 REBIND, and the server doesn't
know about the addresses, the host should continue to use the addresses while
they continue to have a valid lifetime. A host should only stop using addresses
assigned via stateful DHCPv6 if the preferred and valid lifetimes are
specifically set via a RENEW or REBIND to deprecated values (zero for
preferred, 7200 for valid IIRC).

Regards,
Mark.