----- Original Message -----

I think a client is allowed to continue to use an address if the address's
valid lifetime is non-zero, regardless of how that address was acquired, be it
stateful DHCPv6, SLAAC or static.

Stateful DHCPv6 doesn't seem to tightly bind the state of addresses it issues
to the state of the DHCPv6 session, such that if the DHCPv6 session goes away
the addresses go away. If it did, I think there would be would be statements in
RFC3315 to set T1 and T2 timers to the values intended for prefix preferred and
valid lifetimes, there would be no need for preferred and valid lifetime fields
in the IAs for addresses, and there would be statements saying that if the
DHCPv6 session fails for any reason then the client MUST remove the addresses
acquired during that session.

I think this means that at RENEW or REBIND time, the client is only checking to
see if there are updated values for the addresses (and other options), and to
register a continuing interest in using the addresses. The client is not
seeking permission to continue to use the addresses, such that absence of the
DHCPv6 server would mean that it doesn't have permission any more. If the
client has non-zero valid lifetimes for the DHCPv6 supplied addresses, that is
all the permission it needs to continue to use them.

I think this is what allows SLAAC and stateful DHCPv6 to co-exist, which then
allows a transition between one method and the other. The only arbiter of
whether an address on a host is valid or deprecated is the host's own values of
the preferred and valid lifetimes. Stateful DHCPv6 or RA PIOs can be used to
change those values, indirectly controlling the address validity, but
disappearance of the DHCPv6 server or the router issuing PIO containing RAs
shouldn't cause the addresses that were configured using that method to then
immediately become invalid.

Regards,
Mark.