On Jul 25, 2013, at 22:09, Don Sturek <d.stu...@att.net> wrote:

> My problem with RFC 5889 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5889) is that it
> solves the problem simply by saying "don't allocate link locals".   The
> issue I have is that it precludes the use of mDNS (which operate off of
> link locals).

It would be easy to run mDNS in a larger multicast scope than link-local.
(I'm ignoring scaling limitations here, which are not that relevant in a home
as long as you have enough power for everyone.  If you don't, mDNS wasn't the
right answer in the first place.)

But first, you would need to run a multicast routing protocol.
That appears to be the larger problem with running mDNS in a multi-subnet
network domain.

I happen to believe that running a DNS-SD style service discovery protocol
across subnets is significantly easier than running multicast routing across
subnets and then running mDNS on that multicast routing.

I'm not sure the RFC 5889 model is creating any problem here that we didn't
already have as soon as we started to do routing.

Grüße, Carsten