"One of the
   issues with this RFC concerns the wording that is used that allows
   the implementation to make the choice as to what approach to use, and
   in so doing, in some cases, the choice made is not the most prudent
   or best approach, and this thus is not ideal and can lead to some
   problems."

"prudent" and "best" are things that will change overtime. I can see
the value in publishing some algorithm to generate IID, and maybe the
more of these we have - the better.

I see it harmful in marking the core IPv6 specs updated with this
algorithm - even
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses/
does not do that.

Now, beyond the philosophical-political comments, a couple of things
on the "meat":

1) http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-ug-02 - is in the WGLC.
This seems to me that step 6 of algorithm needs to go.

2) the algorithm components

   R1=(modifier(16 bytes)||timestamp(8 bytes)|| router prefix)

it looks to me that it is functionally equivalent of just taking a
hash of 16 random bytes and using that as an interface ID ? Why the
additional components ? They're trivially guessable (even remotely)
and are the same for the nodes on the segment, so they do not add much
in terms of entropy.

3) DAD

If, after 3 tries, it receives the same
   result, it will consider this an attack and will start using that IP
   address.

Uh. So if I have a mass of devices on the segment from the same vendor
who made a poor implementation of this algorithm there is a plausible
race condition where they might start using the same address ?

(if the RNG is of bad quality).

4) stable storage.

If I read it right, I think the node still must have at least enough
storage to keep a single IID. If we are talking this a replacement of
EUI64, then, again, why not take a random 64bit value, store that, and
just use either that value alone for the IID ?

--a