On 19 August 2013 18:57, Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com> wrote:
> Erik,
>
> On 08/19/2013 06:40 AM, Erik Kline wrote:
>> I pre-apologize, as always, for my ignorance, but...is there an
>> implementation of this?  Specifically, I'm mildly concerned about this
>> for link-local addresses.
>>
>> Compliant implementations cannot even begin any IPv6 link-local
>> operations until the secret key has been loaded from stable storage.
>> They also should load the DAD_Counter from non-volatile memory before
>> starting link-local operations.  And they MUST NOT fallback to other
>> link-local autoconfig implementations (last paragraph of section 4).
>>
>> I agree that this all seems fine in theory.  Are we collectively
>> convinced this will not lead to tragically (IPv6-)orphaned machines in
>> certain scenarios?
>
> Sorry, what are the scenarios you have in mind?

Well, I guess first I wasn't 100% sure I could think of all the
link-local uses and how they would interact with needing to load
parameters before starting essential functions for higher layer IPv6
and application things.  However, as I said I can't see a problem with
it in theory.  It's one more thing to wait for before waiting for DAD
to complete.  No theoretical change; fine.

But secondly, how would you implement this in, say, Linux?  Right now
link-local IPv6 things can begin as soon as the module is loaded or as
soon as an interface becomes active if it's already loaded.

To support this scheme as I understand it, the Linux kernel ipv6 code
would need to take some module parameters at boot or load time, so as
to force it to not do link-layer-derived link-local autoconfig but
instead load up the required parameters from non-volatile storage.  Is
my understanding correct?  If so, has anyone written this and gotten
feedback from net maintainers?

I guess I just think that all of the concerns about addresses raised
in draft-cooper-6man-ipv6-address-generation-privacy *don't*
meaningfully apply to link-local addresses.  That document's section
4.2.2 says that the addresses are basically available to an on-link
adversary anyway.  So I guess I don't see the point of "fixing"
something that I don't think is actually broken in this specific
context (speaking of link-local use case specifically).