On 22 Aug 2013, at 22:58, Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com> wrote:

> On 08/19/2013 08:19 AM, Mark ZZZ Smith wrote:
>>
>> Going by the title, it seems my comment was missed about not implying
>> that this address generation technique is limited to SLAAC slack
>> scenarios, but could be useful with any address configuration method
>> (i.e, SLAAC, DHCPv6, static, +future.) There seemed to be some
>> support for decoupling the concepts of address generation from
>> address configuration.
>
> How about something like:
>
> "While the method specified in this document is meant to be used with
> SLAAC, this doesn not preclude the same algorithm from being used with
> other address configuration mechanisms, such as DHCPv6 or static address
> confguration"
>
> at the end of Section 1, right before the "terminology" paragraph?

I think that fits well with the advice in 5177 and its replacement to not use
sequential IPs from a DHCP pool.

The difference for DHCP is perhaps that there may be some reason the pool is
not the whole /64, in which case it would still be prudent to randomise from
within the pool.

I think Mark's point though is that an address may be used for the initiation
of incoming and/or outgoing communications, and how the address is generated
should not necessarily be tied to how it is used. I would certainly agree with
that.

I'm not sure what you mean by static address configuration in this context.

Tim