On 27/07/17 19:06, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
The reason that I need to boot iPXE from an iso is because I am booting from public hosted VPS machines that are located on the Internet.

I can boot each machine and now get to the iPXE shell. How can I have the iPXE call the dnsmasq that I have running on another VPS machine at boot.example.com <http://boot.example.com> as an example. I am trying to find, in the iPXE site and docs that show me how to have the iPXE shell call the bootp server so that it can return the IP and send over to the TFTP server to start returning the OS to be loaded onto the VPS machine?

Don't use TFTP. Since you already have iPXE loaded, you can just use HTTP to perform the rest of the boot.

Public cloud providers typically allow you to configure some kind of metadata associated with virtual machine instances. For example, Amazon Web Services lets you specify an arbitrary blob of "user-data". You can use this to hold an iPXE script that will control the boot. See, for example:

  http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/cc25260

or

  http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/de85336

You could have your iPXE perform a standard DHCP request, and use the DHCP server to control the boot process. However, public cloud providers often do not allow you to either control the DHCP configuration or run your own DHCP server. You will almost certainly find the above metadata-based approach to be easier.

Michael