d1028g...@aol.com wrote:

After adding three more turns of #18 wire to the 9' LW box loop, I now have 567 feet of wire in 22 coil turns, and a tuning range from 142 to 350 kHz. This should be OK for DX testing, so I'll probably wrap it up this way. It's amazing how much wire you need to add to get the tuning range a little lower, on LW.

Yes, i sure is. And I think adding the spreaders, maybe 4 per side in each loop side for total of 16 would likely increase the upper tuning limit of the loop without decreasing the lower limit.

These splay the turns apart, every other turn being spread in opposite directions.

The variable cap used in this project (and all the PVC loops) was a compact, 8:1 vernier drive single-section unit from the eBay seller "crystalradiosupply." This split-stator cap fits neatly inside of a section of 1.5" diameter PVC pipe, for waterproofing the loop tuning system.

If it's a single section cap it isn't a spit-stator cap, and can't be used with a loop primary winding center-tap. These center-tapped connections do improve loop symmetry and null depth.

Rick Kunath