As a broadcast journalism major I am scratching my head but think before the
Communication Acts of 1927 and 34 call letters did not have a real rigid rule
but the 1934 act dictated "K" in the west and "W" in the east and probably
grandfathered those on the air. Think it also stipulated 3 letter calls were
replaced with 4 letters. Think Comm Act of 1934 was the biggest reason things
are the way they are today. Those still in radio shoukd have the real details!
George in VA
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T