THE EXCELLENCE OF OBSERVING SAUM ON THE DAY OF ‘ARAFAH, ‘ASHURA’ AND TASU’A’

  Abu Qatadah ( Radhiallaho anha ) reported : The Messenger of Allah (
Sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam ) was asked about the observance of Saum ( fasting
) on the day of ‘Arafah. He said,

  “It is an expiation for the sins of the preceding year and the current year.”

  [ Muslim ]

  Ibn Abbas ( Radhiallaho anha ) reported : The Messenger of Allah (
Sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam ) observed Saum ( fasting ) on the day of ‘Ashura’
and commanded us to fast on this day

  [ Al-Bukhari and Muslim ]

  Abu Qatadah ( Radhiallaho anha ) reported : The Messenger of Allah (
Sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam ) was asked about observing As-Saum ( the fast )
on the tenth day of Muharram, and he replied, “It is an expiation for the sins
of the preceding year.

  [ Muslim ]

  Ibn Abbas ( Radhiallaho anha ) reported : The Messenger of Allah (
Sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam ) said,

  “If I remain alive till the next year, I shall also observe fast on the ninth
of Muharram.

  [ Muslim ]

  Abu Ayyub ( Radhiallaho anha ) reported : The Messenger of Allah (
Sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam ) said,

  “He who observes As-Saum ( the fasts ) in the month of Ramadan, and also
observes As-Saum for six days in the month of Shawwal, it is as if he has
observed As-Saum for the whole year.”

  [ Muslim ]