Subject
>From Inside Darfur: British Muslims' Peace Initiative

Date
Sunday,Jul 27 ,2008

Time
Makkah
From... 16:00...To... 17:00
GMT
From... 13:00...To...14:00

Name

Editor    -

Profession

Question
Dear visitors,

The session has just started. Please, send your questions.

After the session ends, you can view the whole dialogue through the Recent
Sessions, or the archive.

Best Regards,
Muslim Affairs Team

Answer
.

Name

Amatullah Ahmed    -

Profession

Question
What are the main reasons behind this visit to the Suadan? And Do you think it
will have an effect? JAK.

Answer
Bism Allah. al salam alaykum:

Our main reason for coming to Sudan and Darfur is to obey the orders of Allah
SWT "Make peace between your brethren". We came early this year and spoke with
many tribal leaders, political leaders, and civil society. They have all shown
their enthusiasm and support, and our partner, Sudan University, helped
organize a big peace conference in El Fasher, Darfur, with 250 representitives,
and we believe it is very effective.

Name

Muslim Arabian    -

Profession

Question
Thank you for allowing us the chance to talk directly to you

As a Muslim, how do you see Sudan's President al-Bashir's accusation as a
Muslim leader, isn't that humiliating for Muslims around the world to get the
ICC judging one of our leaders? and is that one of the reasons you are now in
Darfur?

Many Thanks

Answer
My main reason in Darfur is for peace and reconciliation. This is a bottom-up
initiative to bring everyone on board with hope for a better future. Any
interference from the ICC could jeopardized the peace efforts made by African
Union, UN and the British Muslims.

Name

Amro    -

Profession

Question
How the British Muslims will move in Darfur in order to achieve peace among
warring groups? and how will they convince different groups- NGOs,
international players, the government, and the like- of their proposal?

Answer
We started this process seven months ago and consulted with major parties,
NGOs, warring factions, rebel groups, tribal leaders, civil society, IDP camps,
and mosques. We have been encouraged by the support we have received from
everyone concerned. In sha'Allah we hope to continue this process in South
Darfur and West Darfur States.

Name

AIR    -

Profession

Question
Darfur is it a genocide or you think that main stream media play a big role in
exaggerating the issue?

Answer
I honestly believe that there are serious crimes committed by all sides.
However, I am not in the position to make the judgment in relation to genocide.
What I know as a matter of fact is that the UN representative reported to the
security council a few months ago and estimated that the total death has gone
up from 200,000 to 300,000. However, he produced no evidence and admitted that
this was just his guess.

Name

Mohamed Khadr    -

Profession

Question
Who are among this British delegate and what are your aims of the visit ?

Answer
I already stated my aims as above. There are eight members in my delegation
from a diverse background, including Yvonne Ridley, Anas al-Takriti, Dr. Samina
Khan, Imam Jalil Sajid, Sayed Lakhti Hasanein, Dr. Haq, and Ferzana Sarwar.

Name

A.Rashdan    -

Profession

Question
We know that you are now in Sudan, how wise do you think President Bashir is
absorbing international anger that accompanies the ICC accusation? How do you
think, as a British citizen, should he act?

Answer
I understand that there is a strong feeling for peace and justice in Darfur and
in Sudan. My main mission is to deal with the matters related to peace.
Therefore, the above question falls out of my expertise, at least on this
occasion.

Name

-    -

Profession

Question
Which factions are you meeting in Sudan and Darfur and which ones are you not
meeting? Are there certain criteria upon which you decided who to meet?

Answer
We are meeting everyone who is willing to engage in the peace process and
excluding no one from our talks or conferences. I have met with representatives
of JEM, SLA-Nur faction, Dr. Hasan al-Turabi, Imam Sadiq al-Mahdi, the
Communist Party, leaders of the Tijani Sufi tariqa, civil society
representatives, academicians and President al-Basher.

Name

Esmael    -

Profession

Question
As-Salam Alikom,

Knowing what the world know about the criminal atrocities being committed by
the current brutal regime in Khartoum, why are the Muslim and Arab countries
not rushing to support the indictment of Sudan's President al-Bashir? As
Muslims we are commanded by Allah Subhanuhu WeTe'alla to be just even if it is
against our own selves. I personally read articles written by good and caring
Muslims affirming that genocide being committed in Darfur.

JazakumuAllah al-kheir

Answer
I would like to ask this questioner to please visit Darfur to understand the
situation better. I am aware of some journalists who have written articles
based on other reports instead of their own investigations. Crime has been
committed by all sides and therefore, I would call on everyone to reconcile on
the basis of the South African reconciliation process.

Name

kamaal    -

Profession
medical student

Question
Salaam, please do tell me the Darfur region where every major power of the
world wants a share of them in regards to the oil. I think the stronger the
political player with good ideological might win the battle of oil. Your
comments, because all the psycho Darfur Muslim killing each other instead of an
agreement or unity.

Answer
It is quite obvious that oil in Darfur and Sudan prolongs the conflict.
However, Darfur is a very complicated and a complex region with 172 tribes
fighting for scarce resources.

Name

abu jihad    -

Profession

Question
How can the former "British Empire" who barbarically colonized so much of the
world and robbed and raped its people of their livelihood now claim to be the
moral authority of the world?

Also, is Sudan's oil or gas deposits the key here to why all of the sudden
sympathy?

Answer
al-hamdu lil Allah, I am a British Muslim and along with my colleagues here on
a peace and reconciliation initiative we have no oil or gas interests and
neither interested in the geo-political matters in this region. Why people
cannot accept that we are engaged in this process because of the Quranic verses
and the Sunna of the Prophet Muhammad (SAAW).

Name

Tomasz    -

Profession

Question
As-Salam 'Alaykum:

Hello Lord,

This conflict has little or nothing to do with Islam, it is an ethnic and
political matter. Unless you can do something to solve the political situation,
the gesture of sending Muslims to the land might be a "fruitless" one. What do
you think?

GhafarAllahu lak

Answer
For the last five years the international community and its efforts have been
unsuccessful. There is blood shed, despair and hopelessness. If we cannot bring
peace immediately, at least we have brought hope and a psychological boost to
the people of Darfur. There is a real enthusiasm and desire for peace, and
insha' Allah we will do all we can to bring that to the people.

Name

Editor    -

Profession

Question
The session has ended. We would like to thank Lord Nazir Ahmad for taking the
time to answer your questions, and all those who participated in the dialogue.

We apologize for not being able to answer all the questions due to time
limitation of our guest.

Kind regards,
Muslim Affairs Team

Answer