Philippe MALAISE created DAEMON-478:
---------------------------------------

             Summary: performance issue writing StdError and StdOutput to 
shared drive
                 Key: DAEMON-478
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-478
             Project: Commons Daemon
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: prunsrv
    Affects Versions: 1.6.0
         Environment: INT
            Reporter: Philippe MALAISE
             Fix For: 1.6.0


Hello,

I'm using Prunsrv for many business applications.

The version is Apache Commons Daemon 1.6.1.

We have an application called CTC, which is cnfigured to write its logs to a 
remote windows share drive.

The application is very verbose and writes many files and lines, and it's 
working file.

The application's "agent" called "ctcagent" is started with prunsrv.

At first, I configured prunsrv's params as follows:
{code:java}
--StdError="%TEMP%\ctcAgent_StdError.log"
--StdOutput="%TEMP%\ctcAgent_StdOutput.log"{code}
All is fine, still.

Then I wanted to get  ctcAgent_StdError.log and ctcAgent_StdOutput.log at the 
same location as the other logs.

The problem is as soon as I change the location of StdError/StdOutput to target 
the same share drive as the application's logs, the appication slows down 
{+}*DRASTICALLY*{+}. To put this in perspective: the application normally takes 
under 10 minutes to start. With  ctcAgent_StdError.log and 
ctcAgent_StdOutput.log witten to the remote share, I just gave up waiting after 
an hour !

I suspect the way prunsrv writes the files is causing the issue.

Besides:
 * The file "commons-daemon.xxxx-xx-xx.log" is already being written to teh 
share drive and this is not causing any issue/slowness.
 * The files ctcAgent_StdError.log and ctcAgent_StdOutput.log are very small. 
This is inconsistent with performance issues.
 * The aplication itself (CTC) writes a lot of logs: there are a lot of files 
and a lot of lines written to it.
 * When I open ctcAgent_StdError.log and ctcAgent_StdOutput.log in baretail, 
the display flickers. It looks like prunsrv is writing letter by letter. 
Whereas, when I open the Application's logs or "commons-daemon.xxxx-xx-xx.log" 
in BareTail, there is no flicker.

As soon as ctcAgent_StdError.log and ctcAgent_StdOutput.log are back to the 
local drive, the application works well again. Maybe the problem still happens, 
but you can't see it, because the local drive is fast.

I wonder if the way "commons-daemon.xxxx-xx-xx.log" is written is different 
compared to how prunsrv writes ctcAgent_StdError.log and ctcAgent_StdOutput.log.

 

Any idea if this could be a bug ?

 



--
This message was sent by Atlassian Jira
(v8.20.10#820010)

Reply via email to