------ Forwarded Message
From: Marc Abrahams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:01:31 -0400 (EDT)
To: Multiple recipients of list MINI-AIR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mini-AIR Sept 2001 - Math Value / Half-Clever Rise-Fall

PLEASE FORWARD/POST AS APPROPRIATE
mini-Annals of Improbable Research ("mini-AIR")
Issue Number 2001-09
September, 2001
ISSN 1076-500X
Key words: improbable research, science humor, Ig Nobel, AIR, the
A free newsletter of tidbits too tiny to fit in the
Annals of Improbable Research (AIR),
the journal of inflated research and personalities

-----------------------------
2001-09-01    TABLE OF CONTENTS

2001-09-01    Table of Contents
2001-09-02    mini-Housekeeping
2001-09-03    What's New in the Magazine
2001-09-04    The New, True Value of Math
2001-09-05    The Rise and/or Fall of Math Scores
2001-09-06    Year of the Palindrome
2001-09-07    Reverie on Revilo
2001-09-08    Ig Nobel News Nuggets
2001-09-09    LIBRARIAN'S CHALLENGE: Redundant Authors
2001-09-10    What Whether Results
2001-09-11    Last Call for Bridesmaid's Dresses
2001-09-12    An Ig Winner in Your home?
2001-09-13    CAVALCADE OF HotAIR: Sounds, Doubt, Eat, Nano-Porn
2001-09-14    RESEARCH SPOTLIGHT: The Art of Personality
2001-09-15    MAY WE RECOMMEND: Math, Halitosis, and Patience
2001-09-16    AIRhead Events
2001-09-17    How to Subscribe to AIR (*)
2001-09-18    Our Address (*)
2001-09-19    Please Forward/Post This Issue! (*)
2001-09-20    How to Receive mini-AIR, etc. (*)

    Items marked (*) are reprinted in every issue.

    mini-AIR is
    a free monthly *e-supplement* to AIR, the print magazine

2001-09-02    mini-Housekeeping

Ig Nobel tickets are going fast. To get some, call the Harvard Box
Office (telephone: 617-496-2222). Details are at
<http://www.improbable.com/ig/2001/2001-attend.html> and sections
2001-09-08, 2001-09-11, 2001-09-12, and 2001-09-16 below.

2001-09-03    What's New in the Magazine

AIR 7:5 (Sept/Oct 2001) is a special ANIMAL & VEGETABLE ISSUE.
Here are some highlights:

<> "Cloning of the Zucchini Opiate Receptor," by Lloyd Fricker.

<> "Happyface Spiders," by Mark Benecke.

<> "The Pliocene Pussy Cat Theory," by Lorenzo Love.

<> "Inducing Religion in Sea Monkeys," by Ian Thomas.

      ...and much, much more.

      The full table of contents is at
<http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume7/v7i5/v7i5-toc.html>

       (What you are reading at this moment is mini-AIR,
        a small, monthly e-mail supplement to the print magazine.)

2001-09-04    The New, True Value of Math

A prominent math professor of our acquaintance writes:

   I suppose by now you have heard how the novelist Fay Weldon
   picked up extra cash by promising to mention a certain
   jewelry store in her new book. (I won't mention the
   store since I have not been paid to do so).

   Well, I want to formally let all potential advertisers
   know that I am willing to place their products in my
   future algebra and calculus exams. Furthermore, for the
   proper inducement I can guarantee a positive association
   by placing their products in a series of easy questions.
   (Also, I can associate their primary competitors' names
   with extremely difficult and tricky questions).

We have agreed to funnel all pertinent correspondence to this
professor.

2001-09-05    The Rise and/or Fall of Math Scores

Florida State University has devised a fascinating math challenge
for the general public. They sent us a press release with the
following headline:

   FSU Pilot Project Cuts Low Algebra Grades in Half

The press release goes on to explain that:
   [A] two-year pilot program at Florida State University has
   changed the way students learn and prepare for tests, and
   has improved test scores in the process.
   <http://www.newswise.com/articles/2001/9/CAI.FSU.html?sc=wire>

This appears to be a tremendous breakthrough of some sort, perhaps
in math education, perhaps not.

2001-09-06    Year of the Palindrome

Not many readers are fascinated by our slightly burgeoning
collection of scientists whose names are palindromes. However, one
reader found it inspiring. Investigator Patrick Lenon  writes:

   As long as you're on this palindrome thing (digging
   up the scientists named "Revilo P. Oliver," "Mark Kram,"
   and whoever else you come up with), may I be bold enough
   to be the first to suggest the painfully obvious nomination
   of the year 2002 as the YEAR OF THE PALINDROME?

We endorse Investigator Lenon's suggestion, and urge you to write
and telephone your local and national politicians, urging them to
put this into effect before New Year's Day.

2001-09-07    Reverie on Revilo

Mention of the late, albeit still palindromic Revilo P. Oliver has
spurred the imagination of Investigator Derek Roff.
Roff writes:

   "Revilo" is a clearly recognizable word in Esperanto,
   with the clearly non-specific meaning of "tool for
   (day)dreaming." This would generally point to some sort
   of hallucinogenic drug (at least until electrical technology
   of direct brain stimulation improves). Scanning Dr. Oliver's
   articles suggests the aptness of this interpretation.

2001-09-08    Ig Nobel News Nuggets

Here is a quick list of Ig-related news.

* WHO: Seven of the 10 new winners are coming to the ceremony on
Thursday night, October 4. There five Nobel Laureates will hand
them their Prizes. It will all be televised live at
<http://www.improbable.com>

* WEDDING: The 60-second marriage ceremony of Lisa Danielson and
Will Stefanov will be, so far as we've been able to determine, the
first wedding ever held in Harvard's majestic Sanders Theatre. It
will be preceded by the premiere of a new mini-opera, "The Wedding
Complex." The opera libretto will be posted on our web site prior
to the ceremony.

* SATURDAY LECTURES: The Ig Informal Lectures will be at MIT, in
room 26-100, starting at 1:00 pm on Saturday, October 6. It's
free. David Jones (author of the "Daedalus" column in Nature and
several of this year's winners will perform.

* POSTERS: (1) If you are in the Boston area and would like to
post Ig Nobel posters in your institution, please get in touch
with <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
(2) A downloadable reverse-image poster is at
<http://www.improbable.com/ig/2001/ig-2001-poster.pdf>

For details see
<http://www.improbable.com/ig/2001/2001-details.html>

2001-09-09    LIBRARIAN'S CHALLENGE: Redundant Authors

We are proud to begin a new quasi-regular feature in mini-AIR:
"LIBRARIAN'S CHALLENGE."

In this inaugural episode, we challenge librarians everywhere to
help us find the World's Most Prolifically Redundant Author. This
project was inspired by the recently published paper:

   "Redundant Surgical Publications: Tip of the Iceberg?"
   M. Schein and R. Paladugu, Surgery, vol. 129, no. 6,
   June 2001, pp. 655-61.

Please send your nominee for World's Most Prolifically Redundant
Author, along with a brief explanation to support your nomination,
to:
    LIBRARIAN'S CHALLENGE (Project Redundant Authors Project)
    c/o <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You are permitted to make one and only one nomination. Excess
nominations will be deleted (as will be some of the others by
accident, in all likelihood).

2001-09-10    What Whether Results

Last month's Whether Percentage Survey, which dealt with the much-
misunderstood habits of TV weather reporters in the U.S. and other
countries, drew a large volume of responses, which can be
categorized as follows:
    08%    Clarity
    27%    Fog
    12%    Wind
    31%    Flak
    22%    Other Precipitation (various)

Many respondents exceeded the 40-word maximum length. A surprising
number of them did so to a degree that would be described (were we
describing it) as "Deluge."

Here are some comments that lingered after the whether survey
finally calmed:

INVESTIGATOR ALAN D. GALUMBECK:
In the introduction to your Weather Survey you refer to "chance of
precipitation." The actual phrase used in the weather industry is
"probability of precipitation" or POP for short. You might be
interested to know that all the major meteorological
organizations, both public and private, that produce weather
forecasts also rigorously verify all the elements of their
forecasts. [PS: In 1996 I retired after fifteen years service at
The Weather Channel where I was Senior Vice President of New
Technologies.]

INVESTIGATOR DOUG HARVEY
Your survey says that "the '20 percent chance of rain' kind of
forecast is confusing to some people." It shouldn't be, if they
think clearly about it. It simply means there is a 20% chance that
rain will fall where you are during the 24 hours in question
(provided that you stay within the area where that forecast
applies).

INVESTIGATOR AMOS SHAPIR:
I'm a qualified meteorologist, so excuse me for being a bit
serious for a moment. Such "precise" forecasts are not very useful
precisely for this reason -- it's just like the statistician who
drowned in a pool whose average depth is 30 cm. For some unknown
reason, weathermen in the U.S. love such meaningless numbers; I've
heard proclamations like "today it was 5 degrees below freezing,
tomorrow is going to be twice as cold at 10 below" or "it's going
to be 2 degrees centigrade more, which means it will be 35.6
degrees hotter!" (Note the use of the decimal point!) But this may
be the subject of yet another research...

INVESTIGATOR NEIL WHITE:
I can't resist telling you about an encounter I had with a
weatherman some years ago. I asked whether the chance of rain
forecast meant the probability that at least some rain would occur
during the day at a given point within the region. The
meteorologist, who was at least mathematically literate enough to
understand the question, said that it did not mean that, nor the
percentage of the region on which rain would fall at a given time,
or any other precise mathematical meaning. Instead, he said, a
"40% chance of rain" means only that they think it's more likely
to rain than if they had said a "30% chance of rain."

2001-09-11    Last Call for Bridesmaid's Dresses

        PLEASE PASS THIS ITEM ON TO
        ANYONE WHO MIGHT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT

If you know someone who wants to get rid of a used bridesmaid's
dress, please suggest that she donate it to this year's Ig Nobel
Prize Ceremony.

For info, see
<http://www.improbable.com/ig/2001/wedding-top.html#dresses>

2001-09-12    An Ig Winner in Your home?

With so many of the new Ig Nobel Prize winners journeying to
Cambridge for the ceremony, we are still in need of one or two
more people to host them. If you live near Harvard Square and
would love to host a most delightful and accomplished guest (or
two) for a few days, please get in touch with us ASAP at
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

2001-09-13    CAVALCADE OF HotAIR: Sounds, Doubt, Eat, Nano-Porn

Here are concise, incomplete, flighty mentions of some of the
features we've posted on HotAIR since last month's mini-AIR came
out. You can get to all of them by clicking on "WHAT'S NEW" at the
web site, or by going to:
<http://www.improbable.com/navstrip/whatsnew.html>

==> Disturbing Sounds
<http://www.improbable.com/news/2001/sep/disturbing.html>

==> Matters of Taste and Smell
<http://www.improbable.com/news/2001/sep/taste-smell.html>

==> Particles of Doubt
<http://www.improbable.com/news/2001/sep/particles.html>

==> Watch What You Eat
<http://www.improbable.com/news/2001/sep/watch-eat.html>

==> Nano-Porn[tm]-- Pendulous Arabadopsis
<http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume7/v7i3/nanoporn-7-3.html

==> Certain Vibrations
<http://www.improbable.com/news/2001/sep/vibrations.html>

==> News About Medical Students
<http://www.improbable.com/news/2001/sep/students.html>

      THESE, AND MORE, ARE ON HOTAIR AT
      <http://www.improbable.com/navstrip/whatsnew.html>

2001-09-14    RESEARCH SPOTLIGHT: The Art of Personality

Each month we select for your special attention a research report
that seems especially worth a close read. This month's selection:

PICK OF THE MONTH:

"Personality and Judgements of Abstract, Pop Art, and
Representational Paintings," Adrian Furnham and John Walker,
European Journal of Personality, vol. 15, no. 1, 2001, pp.  57-72.
The authors, who are at University College London, U.K., report:

   One hundred and twenty-one participants rated 24 slides of
   abstract, pop art, and representational paintings....
   Disinhibition was associated with positive ratings of
   abstract art and pop art. Neuroticism was positively
   correlated with positive ratings of abstract and pop art,
   while conscientiousness was linked to liking
   of representational art.... It was also found that
   art education and frequency of visits to art galleries
   were linked to positive ratings of abstract paintings.

2001-09-15    MAY WE RECOMMEND: Math, Halitosis, and Patience

Here is a further selection of items that merit a trip to the
library.

BEAUTY TABLED
"Beautiful Numbers: The Rise and Decline of the British
Association Mathematical Tables Committee, 1871-1965," Mary
Croarken and Martin Campbell-Kelly, IEEE Annals of the History of
Computing, vol. 22, no. 4, October-December 2000. (Thanks to
Patsie Dunn for bringing this to our attention.)

EFFUSIVE RESEARCH
"Gas Chromatography Double Focusing Sector-Field ICP-MS as an
Innovative Tool for Bad Breath Research," Julio Rodríguez-
Fernández, María Montes-Bayón, Rosario Pereiro, and Alfredo Sanz-
Medel, Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, vol. 16, no. 9,
2001, pp. 1051-6. (Thanks to L. Paul Bedard for bringing this to
our attention.)

THE PATIENCE OF PATIENTS
"Memorable Patients: Those Who Sit and Wait," David Jeffrey,
British Medical Journal, vol. 323, August 18, 2001, p. 362.

For additional, more extensive lists of citations, subscribe to
(or borrow any issue of) the magazine.

2001-09-16    AIRhead Events

==> For details and updates see <http://www.improbable.com>
==> Want to host an event? <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 617-491-4437.

11th FIRST ANNUAL IG NOBEL PRIZE CEREMONY        THURS, OCT 4, 2001
7:30 pm., Sanders Theatre, Harvard University
With live Internet telecast.
INFO: <http://www.improbable.com/ig/ig-top.html>
TICKETS: Harvard Box Office (617) 496-2222 noon to 6 pm
<http://www.fas.harvard.edu/%7Ememhall/boxofc.html>

IG INFORMAL LECTURES                SAT, OCT 6, 2001
MIT, room 26-100. 1 pm.
Free.
David Jones (Nature magazine's "Daedalus") and several of the
new Ig Nobel Prize winners explain the universe, to the best
of their ability.

MARIST COLLEGE, POUGHKEEPSIE, NY        TUES, DEC 4, 2001
AIR editor MARC ABRAHAMS will present a public talk about
the Ig Nobel Prizes and recent advances and retreats in improbable
research.
Details TBA.

MARIST COLLEGE, POUGHKEEPSIE, NY        WED, DEC 5, 2001
Psychology Undergraduate Research Conference (PURC).
AIR editor MARC ABRAHAMS will present a special talk about
psychology and other improbable research.
INFO: Sherry Dingman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 845-677-5084 x
2955

AAAS ANNUAL MEETING, BOSTON            FRI, FEB 15, 2002
Evening. Exact time and location TBA.
AIR's annual special session at the annual meeting of the
American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Details TBA.

journal The Annals of Improbable Research (the real thing, not
just the little bits of overflow material you have been reading
here in mini-AIR).
Name:
Address:
Address:
City and State:
Zip or postal code:
Country
Phone:        FAX:            E-mail:
SUBSCRIPTIONS (6 issues per year):
USA            1 yr/$24.95        2 yrs/$44.95
Canada/Mexico    1 yr/$28.95 US     2 yrs/$49.95 US
Overseas        1 yr/$41.95 US     2 yrs/$71.95 US
BACK ISSUES are available, too:
First issue: $8 USA, $11 Canada/Mex, $16 overseas Add'l issues
purchased at same time: $6 each
Send payment (US bank check, or international money order, or
Visa, Mastercard or Discover info) to:
    Annals of Improbable Research (AIR)
    PO Box 380853, Cambridge, MA 02238 USA
    617-491-4437  FAX:617-661-0927  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

---------------------------
2001-09-19    Please Forward/Post This Issue! (*)

Please distribute copies of mini-AIR (or excerpts!) wherever
appropriate. The only limitations are: A) Please indicate that the
material comes from mini-AIR. B) You may NOT distribute mini-AIR
for commercial purposes.

    ------------- mini-AIRheads -------------
EDITOR: Marc Abrahams ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
MINI-PROOFREADER AND PICKER OF NITS (before we introduce the last
few at the last moment): Wendy Mattson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
WWW EDITOR/GLOBAL VILLAGE IDIOT: Amy Gorin
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
COMMUTATIVE EDITOR: Stanley Eigen ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
ASSOCIATIVE EDITOR: Mark Dionne
DISTRIBUTIVE EDITOR: Robin Pearce
CO-CONSPIRATORS: Gary Dryfoos, Ernest Ersatz, Craig Haggart, Nicki
Rohloff
MAITRE DE COMPUTATION: Jerry Lotto
AUTHORITY FIGURES: Nobel Laureates Dudley Herschbach, Sheldon
Glashow, William Lipscomb, Richard Roberts

(c) copyright 2001, Annals of Improbable Research

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The body of your message should contain ONLY the words
    SUBSCRIBE MINI-AIR MARIE CURIE
(You may substitute your own name for that of Madame Curie.)
To stop subscribing, send the following message: SIGNOFF MINI-AIR