=- Oswald Buddenhagen wrote on Tue 15.Jan'13 at 15:33:24 +0100 -=

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 01:54:51PM +0100, Davide Gerhard wrote:
> > Is there a simple way to add this function (permanently?) in the code?
> > (yes, I have already seen that this topic is in the todo list :)
> > Some suggestion to start?
> >
> i haven't really thought about it yet.

sorry for the delay :)

> i haven't really thought about it yet.
>
> i presume you first need to implement timer support in the main loop -
> there was a recent thread where i uttered some ideas how to do that.
> next you need to add something to main().

ok. now i check in the history.

> some more things to consider:
> - do we do real daemon mode (with detaching the tty, forking into the
>   background and everything) or do we just keep running in the
>   foreground and let the user wrap it appropriately?

I use it in foreground only because I DON'T like saving password in a
configuration file. These are the steps:
1) i run mbsync -a
2) it asks me the password
3) iterate the mail check every N minutes.
(clearly the password remains in clear text in the memory)

I think that, if someone want the daemon mode they can create a
configuration file with all parameters and the password and put mbync in
/etc/crontab. Obviously: this is the stupid way :)

> - do we want it to be timer-based only? what about using IMAP IDLE
>   (nasty, because it needs a connection per watched mailbox (though i
>   think there is an IMAP extension which enables more efficient
>   handling))? maybe there should be a command socket to which you can
>   write channel/box names to trigger fetches (this would actually fit my
>   setup, as i have a separate notification channel from the server)?

IMAP notify = nice feature :)
I see that there is an experimental branch for dovecot
http://hg.dovecot.org/old/dovecot-2.2-notify/

/davide
--
"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America
likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make," - Response to