On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 05:15:57PM +0200, Alexander Søndergaard wrote:
> > please describe the problem precisely. are all messages fetched, or only
> > a certain subset? do the messages have a particular property in common?
> > etc.
>
> All messages from all my selected Gmail folders are fetched. Many
> folders have more messages than MaxMessages, but this is ignored.

that's not helpful.
the question is why mbsync decides to keep/download specific messages
within each folder.
- what is the "relative position" of these messages in the folder
  (first, last, somewhere in the middle; are the messages consecutive or
  apparently random (check the UIDs, i.e., the ,U=nnn part in the file
  names))?
- is this a stable state, i.e., do the messages stay over multiple
  syncs?
- are the messages possibly flagged? are they not marked as read?

as you are using notmuch, you need to look at the raw maildirs as seen
by mbsync.