At 9:32 PM -0400 8/15/02, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
>Given a valid xml document, Can someone tell me why I may want to
>use itext rather than fop?

        In general it's probably a toss up.  Some things to consider.

1) FOP requires that you use the complex (but standard) XSL:FO
grammar - so that you'll have a higher learning curve in your XSL.
BUT in doing so, you are workign with an established standard.

2) iText is faster, because the XML complexities are lower.

3) iText supports more PDF features (eg. Acrobat Forms, CMYK) than FOP does.

4) FOP supports better vector graphics insertion though the support
of SVG, while iText only does WMF.

5) iText can be driven directly from Java2D.

There are probably other things, but that's a start...

Leonard