Have you every perused the projects in sourceforge? I think it is possible
that the majority of ones over a year old (to give them time to complete)
are abandoned without ever working. And most of the rest no one will touch.

Yes the apache/jakarta stuff is good. I put tomcat up there with itext as
two very well designed and written programs. (JUnit too, and given time I
could list 5 - 10 more.)

But even from your list I would say some, while definitely not crap, is not
best of breed. I pay for IntelliJ instead of using Eclipse because I tried
Eclipse and found it far inferior to IntelliJ. And CVS while good at what it
does, is a pretty basic system.

My point with itext (and tomcat) is I think they are arguably the best
solution for what they do. Not the best open source, or the best in some
situations, but basically the best solution period.

Anyways, my point was not to talk down other open source (I didn't think
anyone would disagree with that) but to talk up itext - I think it is very
well designed and implemented and just wanted to say that to those who
worked on it.

Thanks - dave

David Thielen
www.windwardreports.com