From: mkl [mailto:m...@wir-sind-cool.org]
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 5:31 AM
To: itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [iText-questions] Multiple digital signatures

Hi Andreas & Andrius,

Andreas Kuehne-2 wrote:

> Anyway, I would expect an OCSP response to be an _un_signed property of
> the signature. In some paranoid environments the OCSP response has to be
> some hours younger than the signature. Moreover the signer doesn't know
> anything about the OCSP response, so why should the signer do any signed
> statement about it ?

That indeed is what one would expect, especially as many standards on
advanced signatures recommend a grace period to permit certificate
revocation information to propagate through the revocation processes (e.g.
XAdES and CAdES) which implies inclusion as unsigned attributes (e.g. in
XAdES as UnsignedSignatureProperties/CompleteRevocationRefs).

But there also is the school that recommends retrieving OCSP responses right
before signing and including them as signed attributes. The standards on PDF
signatures (ISO-32000, PAdES) unfortunately adhere to this procedure, at
least when talking about signature interoparability.

Thus, Andrius to me seems to be right on track, at least as long as
interoparability with other applications handling PDF signatures is a
target.

Andreas Kuehne-2 wrote:

> Same for the TSP, could be added as an unsigned property later on. You
> just need to take care about reserving enough space in the PDFs signature
> field.

In general, there are two types of included timestamps, those hashing the
document and those hashing the signature. The former ones are included as
signed attributes, the latter ones (obviously) as unsigned ones.

ISO32000 and PAdES only encompass the latter type.

Andrius Juozapaitis wrote:

> 1) sign the pdf with a digital signature
> 2) apply the ocsp and timestamp information *for the certificate that was
> used in the first signature*  in a second signature, without requiring the
> digital smartcard using in the first step.

That sounds like something quite individualistic; as you mentioned yourself,
the OCSP information cannot be included in the original signature after
creation in a way that adheres to the applicable standards (ISO32000 and
PAdES). Therefore it is highly unlikely the Adobe Reader or Acrobat will
ever support revocation information included like that by default.

Of course you can do this differently and include the data as unsigned
attributes. You must be aware, though, that you probably can use that
information only in your own applications, including plugins for Adobe
Reader and Acrobat.

Regards,   Michael.