One thing occurs to me on the IO performance...  If we are using a memory
mapped file, the backing buffer is, by definition, on the native side of the
virtual/native boundary.  So readying one byte at a time requires a lot of
round trip across that boundary.  Even with memory mapping, it may make
sense to do some sort of paging...  I'll have to think on that a bit.

- K