When I wanted to use chunk.SetCharacterSpacing(), I realized that it was
about time to update my 4 year old iTextSharp library. Many classes
disappeared and I had to update my code. However I'm still stuck with an
error message which did not show up before, namely

Error: Unbalanced begin/end text operators

The code in question looks like this:

document = new Document();
writer = PdfWriter.GetInstance(document, pdfFile);
document.Open();
cb = writer.DirectContent;
bf = BaseFont.CreateFont(fontfile, BaseFont.WINANSI, true);
font = new Font(bf, size, style);
chunk = new Chunk(contentString, font);
phrase = new Phrase(chunk);
ct = new ColumnText(cb);
ct.SetSimpleColumn(a, b, c, d, e, f);
ct.AddText(phrase);
ct.Go();
document.NewPage();

I'm getting the error after the last statment. I also tried with setting
cb.BeginText() and cb.EndText() at several places but this changed nothing.
As I said, this code worked with iTextSharp release 3.1.1.

Any help is highly appreciated!