I thought I had a workable solution, but populating field values with
non-null entries does not give consistent results. Near as I can tell,
this has something to do with the "preview" mode of Acrobat reader.

http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/885/cpsid_88564.html
http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfdevjunkie/2009/11/script_to_fix_mac_osx_previewa.html

I am not sure, but these articles seem to explain the problem. However, I
need to distribute these files to outside clients and I do not have access
to their Acrobat installations.

>From my limited understanding, the needAppearances flag is either not
getting set, or being ignored in my files. If U update a field the
highlight will show. But I need the highlight to show on empty fields.
Latest example file is attached which shows a single field highlighted
(13a-Company). Other fields have the background color, but do not display.
However this file loaded into any non-Adobe reader displays fine.

Does anyone have experience with this type of issue?

Ken Bogart  |  Ameritas  |  IT Consultant
1876 Waycross Road, Cincinnati, OH 45240  |  p: 513-595-2299  |  f:
513-595-2518  |  kbog...@ameritas.com

From:   kbog...@ameritas.com
To:     Post all your questions about iText here
<itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date:   12/09/2011 11:20 AM
Subject:        Re: [iText-questions] PDF Field background color not
displayed or    printed

Its not quite as simple as the highlight fields button...  But questioning
my sanity has pointed the way to a solution!

The fields that are highlighted are supposed to be blank. When I was
adding the AcroFieldProperties object I was defining the background color.
But since these fields did not have a value in them they were not getting
the appearance update on load. Apparently I have to have a value in the
fields for the background to display.

AcroFieldProperties shadedField = new
AcroFieldProperties(shadedFieldName.trim());
shadedField.setBackgroundColor(shadeColor);

I have to add a space to the field and then the reader will detect it and
update appearance. Ideally an empty string would be preferred, but I can
live with a space.

Added  >>>>>>>>  shadedField.setFieldValue(" ");

Now all the fields are filled and display/print in yellow as required.

Thanks for your assistance

From:        iText Info <i...@1t3xt.info>
To:        Post all your questions about iText here
<itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date:        12/09/2011 10:35 AM
displayed or printed

Op 9/12/2011 16:28, Leonard Rosenthol schreef:
> The only reason that it doesn't display is that you have the "Hilight
> existing fields" option turned on in Adobe Acrobat/Reader.  If you
> turn that off (the button in the purple bar at the top of the window)
> then the yellow displays just fine.

A typical case of overlooking the obvious.

This white paper is intended to serve as a reference, checklist and point
of
discussion for anyone considering optimizing the pricing and packaging
model
of a cloud services business. Read Now!
http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51491232/

Many questions posted to this list can (and will) be answered with a
reference to the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/