Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth <at> adobe.com> writes:

> Another great example of poor PDF generation :(.   Wasting all those bytes
> for ASCII values.

As far as I remember this method was pioneerd by Adobe InDesign, the first
full unicode Windows version, I do not remember the number. Actually it
makes a lot of sense, because InDesign just copied info from Windows
structures that had it in Unicode. Trying to convert it into plain PDF
string is another set of problems.

Plain PDF strings are not ASCII, they are PDFDocEncoding, that is another
can of worms nobody wanted to open.

And by the way there was a niche software that expected these keys to be in
Unicode, otherwise it crashed :)

--
Ivan