I have tried to follow along with the examples in the book (chapter 1 was
pretty easy).  However, I ran into trouble starting with chapter 2.  I am
not sure how to set up my project to get the examples to run properly.  I
keep getting permissions problem (could also be file not found) when trying
to connect to the database.  How do I set up the project to be able to
connect to the database?  If it makes a difference I generally use Eclipse
for my Java projects.

So I tried going to the entire source code tree for the examples and just
building using ant.  However, I keep getting build errors on building files
in chapters 12-14.  One such error is:

import com.itextpdf.text.pdf.PdfPKCS7;
  symbol:   class PdfPKCS7
  location: package com.itextpdf.text.pdf
    ...  error: cannot find symbol

There are others like this.  Such as TSAClientBouncyCastle,
DefaultFontMapper, FontMapper, etc.

I have searched the iText jar files and, indeed, these symbols are not
there.

Is there some secret to getting these projects to build?

Mark