Mark Elston schreef op 6/02/2014 2:21:
> I am not sure how to set up my project to get the examples to run
> properly.  I keep getting permissions problem (could also be file not
> found) when trying to connect to the database.

How are you setting up your project?
I usually fetch all the files necessary for the examples from SVN:
svn checkout http://svn.code.sf.net/p/itext/code/book book

Then I use the Maven plug-in for Eclipse to import the project based on
the pom.xml file.
This downloads all the jars you need from the Central Maven Repository.

Once this is done, everything works automagically.

If there's a problem with the HyperSQL database, you need to use
"Occam's Razor" and take away all the code that isn't relevant to the
problem. That's what the DatabaseTest example is about: it doesn't
involve iText. It just executes a simple query that results in a list of
countries. If this doesn't work, the problem isn't related to iText.
Instead it's a simple HyperSQL configuration problem.

The same goes for building iText from the source. You can indeed get
ClassNotFoundException when compiling if you don't have the necessary
jars (for instance the PdfPKCS7 class will only compile if you have the
correct BouncyCastle jars). The pom.xml file has all the information you
need to build your project manually, but obviously, the POM file also
eliminates the need to do any manual work. It's only a matter of letting
Maven doing the heavy lifting for you.