Andrea,

AndreaC. wrote
*
*
>  class version.

> It seems that now isn't possible to read through an InputStream without
> closing it. Is it correct? What I'm wrong?

It's hard to contradict your source code references. Indeed, if you
instantiate a PdfReader using a constructor with an InputStream argument,
the close method of that stream will be called. In a way that does make
sense as the stream contents are read until "the end of the stream has been
reached."

If you want to prevent this (e.g. because closing the InputStream has
undesirable side effects like cutting some connection, or because the caller
providing that InputStream insists on being the code to also close it),
there are two obvious ways to prevent that:

1. Create an InputStream wrapper class which ignores the close() call and
forwards all other calls. Wrap your InputStream in such a wrapper object and
use that wrapper object to construct the PdfReader.

2. Looking at the code you found it becomes apparent that iText reads the
whole stream into a byte[] to process it. Thus, you can do the same, copy
the contents of the stream to a byte[] (or even some temporary file to
decrease memory consumption) without finally closing the stream and use a
PdfReader constructor accepting that byte[] or file.

Regards,   Michael