Ola Antonio,

Mucho gracias. I know what you mean by "taking so long". I do that all the
time too, so don't worry about it.

I almost forgot about this issue, but since then I've did some more research
and as a result, this has become my Windows programming philosophy:
Windows is native to UTF-16, not UTF-8 or UTF-GB (GB18035)
UTF-8 and UTF-GB are both ASCII/ANSI compatible, so they can be substituted in
most cases for ASCII functions
EVERYTHING that Unicode evangelists claim as a benefit for UTF-8, is also THE
SAME EXACT BENEFIT that UTF-GB offers, and because UTF-GB is legacy compatible
for Chinese, UTF-GB should always be promoted as the official Unicode encoding
of choice. To not do so can only be explained by a petty racist bias instead
of sound logic
Windows has a "multibyte" conversion function for UTF-8/UTF-GB, so while it
over-complicates things a little, it isn't hopelessly over-complicated,
probably adding about an extra eight lines of code whenever needed (like it is
for filenames).
Speaking of filenames, path lengths will be limited to 256 bytes unless you
use the "\\?\" prefix
The relevant Window API functions for those who are interested in having TRULY
international applications is:

MultiByteToWideChar()
WideCharToMultiByte()
WideCharToMultiByte()

I don't like it, but I most certainly can easily live with it.

Signed,
Andres

PS -- The problem with certain overlapping characters was due to the wrong DPI
being set for my monitor. As usual, it was a simple problem that was not at
all easy to find. The lesson learned is not all display monitors should
default to 96dpi, so all you people out there with 2560x1600 monitors out
there, be warned!