Hi Manual-san, Tom-san, Janos-san and Dominig-san,

Motivation of IVI-shell(ivi-application+ivi-layout internal
apis)+ivi-controller is to fit requirement and use case in automotive,
GENIVI.
So if a proposal can cover it, I think there is no concerning from
GENIVI.
Use case
- Layer/surface can be identified by Numeric ID. In automotive, it shall
be under stringently control by e.g. car maker to avoid malware.
- ivi-controller interface shall be bound by only authorized central
controller. Ivi-application protocol and ivi-controller protocol shall
be divided into two.
   I think the second is a little mentioned by Janos-san feedback.

So my proposal if I take account into Manual-san suggestion.
- If xdg-shell support, I would be great to merge them into one.
  - ivi-application.surface_create(ivi_id,surface) to map ID with
wl_surface
  - allow to load ivi-layout module to add ivi-features.
  - security model not to allow client application to use a part of
xdg-shell protocol; interface to control e.g. position/size like
xdg_surface_set_minimized.
    - In the future, ivi-controller shall be bound by only authorized
manager like murphy or else. This is one of suggestion from Intel
graphic engineer you may know.

Another option is the same as Janos-san,
If community allows us to support multiple shell in one compositor and
xdg-shell became standard shell in Weston, I can support fall back
feature to xdg_shell when client doesn't support ivi-application. In
this case, get_xdg_surface and other main protocol can be supported. But
other interface to control position or resize of the shell surface shall
not be supported because of security reason e.g. application can control
them by itself.

BR,
Nobuhiko Tanibata

Tom
> Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2014 1:06 AM
> To: Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC); ivi@lists.tizen.org
> Subject: RE: [RFC] IVI-Shell, Wayland, and middleware API unification
>
> Hi Dominig,

However,
> when observing the wayland traffic, particularly the great work Manuel
and
> Tanibata have been pushing, I came away with a different opinion re
upstream
> acceptance.
> I confess I could be totally wrong, but would gladly take your input
to correct
> my understanding - the "worse unlikely" is a pretty grave scenario.
Can you
> direct me to where you base your opinion on? Did you mean for a
particular
> version, or in general you are skeptical of upstream acceptance?
>

> > Manuel proposition would enable to expand the compatibility of
Genivi

https://github.com/01org/ozone-wayland/commit/a034a018b6ec317ec5559dcce6
> efec916ec40512
>

> > I personally only see benefit, but a sorer look from a greater
> > community is valuable as we might have missed some hidden side
effect.

> Janos has followed with a compressive reply after this mail.
>
> Warm Regards
> Tom.
> Intel Shannon Limited
> Registered in Ireland
> Registered Office: Collinstown Industrial Park, Leixlip, County
Kildare