Thank you.

Changing /etc/xdg/weston/weston-genivi.ini is also something I tried. In
the logs of weston, I can see that LVDS1 gets disabled (when I set
mode=off) and that VGA1 is enabled (looks fine). The resolution and timings
correspond to what the display detects, but the screen remains black.

In the meanwhile, I found a VTC1010 (= the reference hardware). I tried it
but get exactly the same result as on my VTC7110 : black screen (with
tizen-ivi Modello and tizen-ivi Core). The log of weston only mentions VGA1
(with the right resolution : [11:06:55.154] Output VGA1, (connector 9, crtc
3)  mode 1024x768@75.0, preferred, current   ).

As this is the reference board, I wondered if there was something wrong
with my image. So, I downloaded the sample image
"tizen-ivi-core-image-dev-valleyisland-32.ext3" and tried it on my VTC1010.
The result : a black screen. What could be wrong ?

Best regards,

               Olivier Delbeke Senior Software Engineer

               olivier.delb...@awtce.be / T. +32 2 389 25 53 AWTC Europe S.A. -
Avenue de l’Industrie, 19 - 1420
               Braine-l’Alleud - Belgium - www.aweurope.eu - www.aisin-aw.co.jp

               VAT : BE 0474.474.114 - RPM Nivelles

             "Litkey,
             Krisztian"
             <krisztian.litkey                                          To
             @intel.com>               "olivier.delb...@awtce.be"
                                       <olivier.delb...@awtce.be>
             01/30/2015 11:24                                           cc
             AM                        "ivi@lists.tizen.org"
                                       <ivi@lists.tizen.org>, "Ohly,
                                       Patrick" <patrick.o...@intel.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [IVI] tizen-distro: booting
                                       (was: Re: tizen-distro : memory
                                       allocation error
                                       whenlinkingcrosswalk)

On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 09:31 +0100, Olivier Delbeke wrote:
> I'm trying the 'tizen' branch, commit 4d13fc323cb9 (January 8). No
> changes from my side. I built it with the default settings and just
> want to start it.
>
> To create the image, I followed the wiki. I made 2 partitions (one
> with tizen-ivi-core and one with tizen-ivi-Modello) and installed grub
> as explained. In my grub.cfg, I created two entries : one for each
> image. Both boot, but result in a black screen.
>
> With the Modello image, I managed to get a shell and an SSH
> connection. I could see that weston is running ; its log seems OK,
> although it mentions both LVDS1 and VGA1. As I'm using a VGA display,
> I tried adding "video=LVDS-1:d" to the kernel command line to disable
> it, but got no improvement. I will try "video=LVDS-A-1:d".

One potential problem can be that weston tries to render to the wrong
(non-existing) display. To eliminate this as a source of problems it is
best to turn that explicitly off in the weston config file. Have you
tried adding

[output]
name=LVDS1 (check the correct name for this from the weston logs)
mode=off

/etc/xdg/weston/weston-genivi-modello.ini,
or /etc/xdg/weston/weston.ini ?

  Cheers,
    Krisztian

> [...]
>         Delbeke
>         <olivier.delb...@awtce.be>
>
>                cc
>
>         "VanCutsem, Geoffroy" <geoffroy.vancut...@intel.com>,
"ivi@lists.tizen.org" <ivi@lists.tizen.org>

>           Subject
>
>         tizen-distro: booting (was: Re: [IVI] tizen-distro : memory
allocation error whenlinkingcrosswalk)

> On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 08:54 +0100, Olivier Delbeke wrote:
> > Here are my latest results :
> > * My own laptop : kernel boots, systemd boots, but I don't get any
> > graphics ; just audit/smack logs. I don't have a shell and cannot
> read
> > the log.
> > * VMWare : kernel boots, systemd boots but display becomes black. I
> > guess that weston is running but I cannot confirm as I don't have a
> > shell. SSH seems to be running, but none of the username/passwords I
> > tried works (including root/tizen). No shell, no logs, stuck.
> > * VTC7110 : same result as on the VMWare : boot messages look
> > relatively ok, but the screen becomes black. No shell (not even on
> > Ctrl-Alt-F1).
> >
> > Next step : try to replace the weston systemd target by a shell ;
> > then, I should be able to see some logs and to see what happens when
> > manually execute weston.
>
> I am currently trying out the "sandbox/pohly/tizen-next" branch,
> unfortunately with similar lack of success. Which revision of
> tizen-distro are you using?
>
> How do you create images?
>
> I tried both the mkefidisk.sh approach and the manual procedure
> described in the Wiki.
>
> With mkefidisk.sh I have the problem that grub gets invoked ("Welcome
> grub!" is printed), but then it gets stuck (no prompt, no further
> output). I tried that for VTC1010 and  MinnowMAX.
>
> The Wiki procedure worked better. It results in a more complete grub
> installation and configuration, which gets Linux and systemd running,
> but also without Weston and no login method.
>
> Regarding login, typically Yocto -dev images have an empty password
> for
> root.
>
> --
> Best Regards, Patrick Ohly
>
> The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although
> I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way
> represent Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak
> on behalf of Intel on this matter.
>

> This mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by
> the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged
> and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please note that any review, dissemination, disclosure,
> alteration, printing, copying or transmission of this mail and/or any
> file transmitted with it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
> If you have received this mail by mistake, please immediately notify
> the sender as well as our mail administrator at

Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki