Hi Derek,

On 19.10.2015 17:16, Derek Foreman wrote:
On 19/10/15 04:44 AM, Leon Anavi wrote:
Hi Derek,

On 14.10.2015 23:37, Leon Anavi wrote:
Hi Derek,

On 14.10.2015 20:11, Derek Foreman wrote:
On 14/10/15 05:31 AM, Leon Anavi wrote:
Hi Derek, All,

Derek, I am experiencing similar issues with weston-keyboard as in your
article "When is a Keyboard Not a Keyboard?" which has been
published at
Samsung OSG blog.

Could you please provide me help how to get Weston 1.6 working with the
virtual weston-keyboard in the HTML5 apps from the AGL app suite when
hardware keyboard is not present?
Looks like a bug I fixed last December, actually:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/commit/?id=f0aaa417

Fairly small so it might be an easy forward port...
Thank you for the provided feedback.

I applied a patch with this bug fix to Weston 1.6 but I am still
experiencing the same issue (as described in my previous email). It is
a bit late here so I will continue debugging it tomorrow.
After further exploration of various log files I noticed that the issues
while running AGL app suite on Tizen with Crosswalk, Wayland and Weston
1.6 do not appear if an event from /dev/input is detected as a keyboard.
As a work around a colleague from Konsulko Group defined a GPIO as a key
at the device tree. This way the GPIO is detected by Weston as a keyboard:
That's quite clever, and I'll try to remember it. :)

Yes, thank you, I am lucky to work with experienced kernel developers at Konsulko Group :)

Last time someone asked me for a way to create fake keyboard presence, I
suggested writing a program with uinput - but if you've got control over
your device tree your approach is much simpler.

Yes, uinput was next on my list for a work around.

[00:00:08.831] input device 'gpio-keys.22', /dev/input/event1 is a keyboard

The configuration of Weston is:

[input-method]
path=/usr/libexec/weston-keyboard

[keyboard]
keymap_layout=us

Derek, in this case we are using the behavior described in your article
"When is a Keyboard Not a Keyboard" for the work around. Please let me
know how can I help you find and fix the root cause of the problem as it
seems to be a Weston issue.
It's definitely a weston issue and not one of configuration, but it's
hard to tell if it's already been fixed upstream.

Do you have (or can you easily build) weston-editor for your platform?
It's part of the weston repository...  If you can reproduce the crash
with that then I can reproduce it on my desktop here and fix it promptly.

A backtrace of weston when it fails would also be quite helpful.

Is it possible to build an image that can reproduce this problem that
runs on an intel machine?  I have an old laptop I could re-image (I can
knock the keyboard device registration bits out of weston to mimic lack
of keyboard presence easily enough...)

Yes, I can build an image for Intel machines. I am not sure if the bug will appear on them. In general it should be possible to boot this Tizen image from USB stick. Btw, based on my experience Intel NUC and MinnowBoard MAX are useful for testing Tizen 3 on Intel. I will give it a try.

I also have a beaglebone black and an rpi2 on hand if either of those
could reproduce it, but the rpi2 tizen port has some crosswalk issues
that will likely make this untestable.

Yes, there are some issues with Crosswalk on Raspberry Pi 2 therefore you cannot reproduce the issue on it.

The environment in my case is a bit more complicated because I am working on i.MX6 devices and I had to apply some patches on Wayland / Weston 1.6 to get it working with hardware graphics acceleration.

You should be able to reproduce the bug on HummingBoard if you had one and if you disable gpio_ir_recv (cause Weston detects it as a keyboard):
https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/HummingBoard#Building_Tizen:Common_with_Yocto

Best regards,
Leon

Best regards,
Leon

Thanks,
Leon

Hope that helps a bit,
Derek

In my case Weston keeps crashing when I type in HTML5 input fields from
the AGL apps through the virtual weston-keyboard if no hardware
keyboard
is attached. I am working on a Tizen image that contains Wayland and
Weston 1.6, Crosswalk 11.40.277.0 and libinput 0.6.0. Please have a
look
at my test cases for more details:

* Test case 1, weston.ini:

[input-method]
path=/usr/libexec/weston-keyboard

[keyboard]
keymap_layout=wkb

Results:

1.1. No hardware keyboard: FAIL
Weston crashes when the user tries to launch Browser from the
Homescreen
app:

[00:00:32.676] caught signal: 11

1.2. With hardware keyboard: FAIL

Weston detects the hardware keyboard:

[00:00:07.480] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event0 is a
keyboard
[00:00:07.481] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event1 is a
keyboard

Weston crashes when the user tries to launch Browser from the
Homescreen
app:

[00:00:49.925] caught signal: 11

* Test case 2, weston.ini:

[input-method]
path=

[keyboard]
keymap_layout=wkb

Results:
2.1. No hardware keyboard: OK with remark - there is no virtual
keyboard
(as expected) so there is no way to type.

2.2. With hardware keyboard: FAIL

Weston detects the hardware keyboard:

[00:00:06.586] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event0 is a
keyboard
[00:00:06.587] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event1 is a
keyboard

Weston fails as soon as the user starts to type in HTML5 input field
for
URL at the Browser app through the hardware keyboard:

[00:00:48.006] caught signal: 11

* Test case 3, weston.ini:

[input-method]
path=/usr/libexec/weston-keyboard

[keyboard]
keymap_layout=us

Results:
3.1. No hardware keyboard: FAIL

Weston crashes when the user tries to launch Browser from the
Homescreen
app:

[00:00:28.391] caught signal: 11

3.2. With hardware keyboard: OK

Weston detects the hardware keyboard and both the hardware and virtual
weston-keyboard work fine:

[00:00:06.767] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event0 is a
keyboard
[00:00:06.771] input device 'SEM USB Keyboard', /dev/input/event1 is a
keyboard

I want to get weston-keyboard working fine in Weston even if there
is no
hardware keyboard.

Thanks,
Leon