I think the relative paths you have specified in the schemaLocation will
be resolved against the "working dir". The working dir is usually the
directory at the cmd prompt when you launched the JVM.

Have you tried giving absolute path to the XSD files ?

A more portable solution to finding schema files locally is to use
EntityResolver[1].

If you are using JAXP 1.3/ JDK 1.5+ see :
https://jaxp.dev.java.net/article/jaxp-1_3-article.html

[1]:http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/org/xml/sax/EntityResolver.html

Hope this helps.
-Prashant